Monday, February 2, 2009

Dallas Theater Center "In the Beginning"


Late last week I attended the Dallas Theater Center's production of "In the Beginning," a rather experimental look at the first ten chapters of Genesis. (Basically they covered creation, the temptation/fall, Cain/Abel, and Noah.) It was an interesting staging (particularly good use of the movable floor at the DTC). At the end, the cast interviews a "professional" Bible/theology-type person and takes questions/responses from the audiences. I had gone to watch, not interact, so I was not prepared to participate that night. But I have thought since a bit about it, and am sharing with this Blog.
1) Go see the play! (It runs through February 15.)
2) The actors focused on what the ten chapters tell us about God. Certainly there is much to that. However, I think they missed the greater point. I think of those chapters being "family stories" for the family of faith. That is they tell us about the human condition and human response to God. And like "family stories" they do not tell us everything, but they tell us past experiences to tell us about our present. So, all that is to say, I wished they had said more about the human desire to be a god (temptation/fall), the human desire to let competition ruin "brotherly" relationships (Cain/Abel), and answering the call of God, even when it seems disconnected from experience (Noah). By the way, a young person in the audience really did a nice job on pointing out the competition aspect of Cain and Abel. Bravo!
3) As I said above, go see it. I would love to know your response!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recap for those of us who aren't able to make it to the play! I'm curious - did they have actors playing multiple roles? It would be interesting if they used that device to illustrate some of the more universal themes.

    ReplyDelete