Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Juror No. 2283 -- Released!


Yesterday, I answered the summons to jury duty from Dallas County. At this point in life, I go when called because I am fairly certain I will not be selected from the jury pool. I want to do my civic duty, but generally I hope I will not get placed. Perhaps, I am just protective of my personal time. But I also think I am a bit uncertain about Christians sitting in judgment over others. It is wrapped in the encouragement of the Two Kingdoms idea of Luther as well as a corollary of the "in the world but not of the world" from the New Testament. Christians can live responsibly as citizens but act carefully as well. The temptation to decide according to my prejudices can sway the desire to decide justly. Despite my fretting, I was not chosen as I suspected. But that sitting in judgment over others remains a temptation even outside the courtroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment