Monday, July 27, 2009

Bruno Schlachtenhaufen Rest in God's Peace

This month's The Lutheran magazine brings notice of the passing of the Rev. Bruno Schlachtenhaufen.
Among his other services to the Lord and his neighbors, he directed the Seminary Appeal for the old American Lutheran Church during the years I attended Luther Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota. I remember his name because I had the responsibility to announce his presence on campus with an invitation for any interested persons to meet with him. I had this announcement duty during the Chapel time when hundreds gathered for worship. I sweated out the pronunciation of his name -- not wanting to sound silly in front of the crowds, nor to hurt Bruno Schlachtenhaufen's feelings. When it came time for announcements, all the consonants and vowels rolled out beautifully. (I was even complimented by several persons afterward for my precise pronunciation.) Ever after, when I needed a great pastor's name to throw out for illustration, I fell back on Bruno Schlachtenhaufen.
Now, I read that he has passed on to his promised place with God. I think I may still use his name as it is tough to beat it, but I shall also momentarily reflect every time on the transitory nature of this world -- its duties, worries, calls to service, concern about possessions, praises for actions, and opportunities for service. And I shall remember the divine promise given to Bruno Schlachtenhaufen, fulfilled now in his passing. Requiescat in pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment